Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dianne O'Neal for Clermont Town Board

Dianne S. O’Neal

DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE 
CLERMONT TOWN COUNCIL

My family and I have been Clermont residents for 26 years. I have been a Member of the Clermont Town Board for four years. During my time on the board, Clermont town taxes have remained the lowest in Columbia County, and our tax rate for next year will drop by 1/2%. At the same time, we have renovated and enlarged the Town Garage, maintained and improved the town buildings, and built a new Little League field and Recreational Park. Prior to my years on the Town Board, I served for two years on the Planning Board.

I have had fifteen years of experience as a librarian and a conservator of works on paper in a major research library and in several museums. This background has given me not only skills and experience in those fields; it has also honed my ability to get things accomplished and to balance many tasks.

Our farm in Clermont has been continuously farmed since 1680, and local farmers grow corn and hay and raise sheep and cattle on the property today. In Alabama, my family has also been farming on the same land for 200 years. I am the Treasurer of our family farm there, and our cattle operation has operated at a profit every year since 1991. In 1931 a member of our family founded the American Farm Bureau for FDR and served as its president until 1947. Farming and quality of life is of paramount importance to me.

The support and protection of the Clermont community and its citizens are extremely important to me. As representative on the Town Board I will continue to work to keep taxes as low as possible, to keep Town property in good repair, and to keep the community a safe place to live.